AmeriCorps Opportunities (ages 18-25)
AmeriCorps is a national service program that addresses challenges in our communities through the dedicated service of its members. Members join to give back to their communities while gaining a foundation of marketable skills for natural resource careers. If you are 18-25 years old, interested in national and community service and want to gain job skills in natural resource management, youth leadership, or energy conservation, join Conservation Corps!
January/February - December Positions
- Youth Outdoors Leaders engage Saint Paul and Minneapolis teens from low-income homes in educational activities and service-learning projects afterschool and Saturdays during fall and spring school semesters. When not leading youth, AmeriCorps members perform natural resource management projects.
- Field Crews based throughout Minnesota and Iowa complete natural resource projects and emergency response work during an 8-10 month or summer term. Field AmeriCorps members serve on a crew of their peers, all ages 18-25.
- Individual Placements serve directly in nonprofit or government agencies that provide skills training in conservation-related projects such as educational and interpretive programs, volunteer management, community outreach, GIS mapping, and trail and wildlife surveying.
- Conservation Apprentices serve alongside a natural resource professional in a Minnesota Soil and Water Conservation District, learning hands-on skills in managing soil and water resources.
- I Can Camp! and I Can Paddle! Crews serve alongside the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources teaching families camping or canoe/kayak paddling skills and educating the public about local ecology and natural resources.
- Restoring Relations Youth Corps Leaders engage youth of Native American Tribes and/or heritage in natural resource conservation work such as trail construction and maintenance, boardwalk building, planting, campsite development and invasive species removal.
- Summer Youth Corps Leaders co-lead crews of eight teens in our summer residential program. Crews will complete natural resource projects (such as trail construction and maintenance, boardwalk building, planting, campsite development and invasive species removal) in State and National Parks throughout Minnesota while guiding discussions focused on the environment.
- Superior National Forest "Faces of Tomorrow" Crews receive intensive training and on-the-job experience as part of the Superior National Forest’s “Faces of Tomorrow” initiative, an effort to improve the diversity of their future workforce.
Corpsmembers are participants (not employees) and receive a living allowance rather than an hourly wage. AmeriCorps members are eligible for an education award at the end of the service term and receive training in technical and work skills as well as civic engagement and leadership skills.
Not sure which program?
Our AmeriCorps Members come from all over!
You don't have to be from Minnesota or Iowa to serve! In 2018, we have members from 29 states!
Looking for a staff position? Visit our employment page for current staff openings.
Interested in conservation programs outside Minnesota and Iowa? Check out our Nationwide Corps Program database!