AmeriCorps: Home Energy Squads
AmeriCorps members in the Home Energy Squad are trained on the job as they complete energy-efficiency upgrades in Twin Cities homes. Working with Neighborhood Energy Connection (NEC) staff, teams of two corps members install programmable thermostats, CFL light bulbs, power strips for entertainment centers, low-flow shower heads, door weather stripping, water-heater blankets and kitchen-sink aerators.
Home Energy Squad members receive a living stipend of $1,565 per month, health insurance, personal protective equipment, student loan forbearance during the service term and, after a full term of service, an AmeriCorps education award between $2,775 and $5,550 that may be used for college expenses or to repay qualified student loans.
To join the Home Energy Squad, applicants must be 18-25 years old, eligible for AmeriCorps, and able to perform essential job functions including physically strenuous work 40 hours per week. Schedules may vary weekly and evening/weekend work is required, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
We look for applicants who have:
- positive attitude and strong commitment to service and community work
- ability to work independently and in a team
- competency for simple carpentry, plumbing and home electronics work
- experience/knowledge of energy-efficiency practices and home construction
- experience with customer service
- ability to educate and interact with homeowners
- valid driver’s license and good driving record
2015 Program Application Information
Online application available: Late October
Application deadline: End of November
Interview process: Early December
Applications for 2015 Home Energy Squad positions have now closed.
Please sign up here to receive email notification of all Corps Opportunities as they become available.